Friday, September 22, 2006

Definations of a CEO

It's intersting the number of existing views as to what the term CEO means. To the kawaida mwananchi (read as layman), the appearance of the same on your business card means nothing whatsoever. This I experienced last week when I went to lay to rest my aunt in the "Milima Mitatu" region of Turi in the Riftvalley. After the ceremony, everyone converged at our homestead (feels like am reading from a history book..homestead???). It was time to make lunch, but as it evidenty seemed, we would have rather called it supper.

Coupla hours pass and I in my CEO mind enquire on the status of the lunch project, only to be informed that the timelines and indeed the project deliverables had been changed. Certain aspects of HR were not in place...mama so and so from across the hill had not arrived with some ingredients...tools at HR disosal were wanting (read firwood jikos)...there seemed to be no pressure to achieve results (or at least no one looked hungry). Anyway...i enaged my uncle in some chit chat and he asked me if i would stay the night, to which I replied an affirmative NO. I went on to tell him of how many projects were pending back in the city, and they needed to be sorted by weeks end (this week), and also how i thought things were moving slowly. The long and short of it is that he asked for my contacts back in the city as he gathered from the grapevine that I had since moved. I whipped out a card which he looked at and said CEO...kweli...lakini huko mambo haiendi hivi.Nipolepole.

Enough said...

No comments: